The Tragic Unsolved Murder of Angie Housman

On November 18th, 1993, nine-year-old Angie Housman was last seen getting off her Angie Housmanschool bus in St. Ann, Missouri – a quiet suburb on the outskirts of St. Louis, Missouri. She wouldn’t be found until nine days later, and ever since then, her name has never been forgotten.

Angie Housman was in fourth grade and even at such a young age, she had ambitions to become a nurse’s aide. Along with that, her personality was hard to ignore. She constantly had a smile on her face and treated others with compassion. Angie simply loved people.

Her family, friends and school teachers would describe her as incredibly outgoing. She never saw the bad in a person — turning that trait into trusting others quickly. With her enthusiastic personality, Angie would often interact with anyone in hopes of making a new friend. One of her phrases she’d always use when approaching strangers was, “Hi. My name is Angie. Are you my friend?” All in all, Angie was a loving child full of happiness and innocence until one someone took things too far.

After stepping off the school bus excited to be out of school for the day, Angie was walking home a short four blocks away from where she lived with her mother and stepfather, Diane and Ron Bone. On that particular day, however, she never arrived.

It typically took Angie five minutes to get from the bus stop to her home within walking distance. Sometimes it’d be shorter if she ran to her home as many kids do after getting off the bus, or sometimes longer if she was playing with the other kids who lived in her neighborhood.

Approximately thirty minutes pass by and her family became concerned. Being absent this long was very uncharacteristic of Angie despite her extroverted personality. With every aching minute that turned into hours, panic seeped in deeply. Angie’s parents reported her missing and the search began immediately.

What soon followed became one of the worst crimes the state of Missouri has ever had, and still unfathomable to comprehend over twenty years later.

After days of the initial search for Angie, no credible leads were given to local August A. Busch Memorial Consevation Area.jpgauthorities. It wouldn’t be until nine days later when her body was finally discovered by two deer hunters in a wooded area known as, “August A. Busch Memorial Conservation Area.” The severity of torture that Angie Marie Housman went through during those nine days is a type of treatment that nobody on earth deserves.

WARNING: Things are going to become graphic in description. It might be very hard to read. However, Angie’s story needs to be told.

Angie’s body was discovered nude and chained to a tree. Her hands were bound behind her with handcuffs made from Taiwan. Duct tape was wrapped tightly around her forehead covering her eyes and mouth. Due to low temperatures, there was ice freezing on her hair and cheeks. Her body was incredibly frail due to lack of substances. Nearby was Angie’s backpack that contained her school books and clothes she wore the day of her disappearance, neatly folded in a pile, including her heavy coat for the winter season.

Medical examiners later concluded that Angie’s autopsy showed signs of being beaten severely for days, along with molestation and being sexually tortured in extreme manners. Ultimately though, her untimely death was caused by exposure — succumbing to the cold temperatures without any food or water.

Despite this, Angie’s love for life was expressed through her strong iron will. Examiners determined that her death occurred a few hours before her discovery, meaning she fought to the very end, never giving in to the unsavory acts of a despicable human being.

The police were adamantly working day and night to find answers, tracking down any leads that came to them but nothing turned up. They speculated that Angie’s killer could be a teenager because approximately one-hundred feet away from where her body was discovered is a dead-end road that people call “Lover’s Lane”; a popular hangout for teenagers.

Eventually, a positive came to light. The duct tape that was used to restrain Angie featured DNA of her killer’s fingerprint. Unfortunately, no match has been made, but it keeps police and family hopeful for a resolution one day.

Interesting notes:

The police have stated they are under the impression that Angie knew her killer. The extent is unknown, however. According to police, a statement was released stating, “It’s our feeling she got in a car on her own and was starved for affection. She told people, ‘I want to be your friend.’ She was a little more trusting than many kids.”

New details started to emerge when a school teacher came forward stating that one day before Angie disappeared, she told her she was going to visit the countryside with a relative. This information blossomed more disturbing reports that pertained to Angie meeting an older gentleman, wanting to start a friendship, and this unidentified male accepted the offer, who told her to call him “Uncle.” This became a huge lead in the case of Angie’s abduction and murder, but the investigation quickly turned dry in relation to this tip.

While the police conducted their investigation they interviewed Angie’s neighbors and more ironies came about in a heartbreaking way. On a typical day after school when the kids are heading home after getting off the bus, there are about two to three adults who generally keep an eye on the children in order to make sure things are okay.

On the day Angie vanished, one particular neighbor who always looks outside her living room window awaiting her child to come inside was busy with housework at the time. Another neighbor who often stood outside on the front porch until her kids made it back safely was tending to her sickened father. If it was any other day, it is possible an adult would have witnessed Angie’s abduction.

However, two days prior to Angie’s disappearance, the police received a report from a woman that said a suspicious looking male was around Angie’s area. She described the male as having a beard and wearing a long coat. At the time, nothing out of the ordinary happened so the police shrugged it off.

On December 9th, 1993, not even a month after the tragedy of Angie Housman, two Cassidypedestrians stumbled upon the body of ten-year-old, Cassidy Senter. She was abducted around 3:30 p.m. while heading to a friend’s house after school in Hazelwood, St. Louis County — approximately 10 miles away from St. Ann, Missouri.

Cassidy’s body was discovered in an alleyway wrapped with two-bed comforters and a pink curtain. Her upper clothing was pulled above her chest, her pants were taken off and inside out near her, and her ankles were bound by bed sheets. Her body was covered with an immense number of bruises and her autopsy later showed multiple fractures and tears to her skull that resulted in her death.

Close to her body were tire tracks that linked to a U-Haul truck. Thankfully, with credible witnesses, the evidence connected back to a man named Thomas Brooks, who was arrested two months later on February 3rd, 1994. Thomas Brooks

The authorities who were still actively investigating the murder of Angie Housman had hopes of linking the two murders together, but unfortunately, they had no correlation between the two — suggesting multiple killers being active in close proximity to each other. Thomas Brooks was 33-years-old when he died on May 16th, 2000 while serving his jail sentence in Moberly Prison.

Since the murders of Angie and Cassidy, there have been many other children who have vanished and been murdered in the St. Louis area, most of which remain unsolved.

Two of the more notable cases involve Heather Kullorn, who was allegedly murdered in 1999 by friends of the family. At the time, she was twelve-years-old and babysitting the two-month-old infant of her family’s friends, Dana Madden and Christopher Herbert.
Heather K Missing

One evening while Dana was working an overnight shift and Christopher Herbert, who supposedly wasn’t home for various reasons, a neighbor witnessed a man carrying a child wrapped in a blanket out of the residence Heather was babysitting in at approximately 2:00 in the morning.

The police arrived at the scene not long after and noticed the two-month-old infant was left unattended and a comforter was missing from the apartment. Heather wasn’t at home and blood was soon found that DNA testing would corroborate as Heather’s.

Moreover, a meth lab was found in their apartment. Her disappearance and alleged murder are still unsolved, but police firmly believe the result of her abduction is due to witnessing an illegal activity involving drugs.

Bianca Noel PiperThe second case relates to thirteen-year-old, Bianca Noel Piper that vanished in March 2005, in Foley, Missouri, 40 miles away from St. Ann, Missouri, where Angie’s disappearance and murder occurred.

Bianca suffered from a long list of mental disorders, including ADHD, Bipolar, and a plethora of mood swings and aggressive outbursts with frequent anxiety attacks. This caused a lot of problems in the midst of the family with regular occurring arguments. Bianca had been seeking therapy and at one point her therapist suggested to Bianca’s mother that when she becomes aggressive they should go for a drive and then drop Bianca off a short distance from home and have her walk back — hoping it would allow Bianca to dwell on her actions and anger while walking back home which would subsequently make her more calm and relaxed.

As time went on, another argument broke out about chores within the household, so Bianca’s mother heeded to the advice given by the therapist. It was approximately 6:00 p.m. when she let Bianca out of the car, but when she didn’t show up hours later, her mother reported her missing.

Although there have been arguments in the past because of Bianca’s disorder(s), there has never been an incident of running away from home. Still to this day, she has never been seen or heard from again. Her parents have also been ruled out as suspects in her case.

In 2009, Bianca’s father passed away without receiving any answers to his daughter’s disappearance. Her mother eventually moved to St. Charles, Missouri, but continues actively searching for her daughter, all the while living with daily regret.

Whether or not these unsolved disappearances have any connection to Angie Housman’s death is uncertain. It’s been an incredibly long twenty years, but the search for answers still continue and family members who are still alive aren’t giving up the fight for seeking justice for Angie Housman. Her story and love for life and people still live on.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s